Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [GIL new_io] Some questions about TIFF handling
From: Lubomir Bourdev (lbourdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-28 21:40:13

Hi Olivier,

I will let Christian answer the tiled TIFF question. As for why bits32f is scoped 0..1: GIL channel types have a notion of a minimum and maximum value, which is used for many operations, such as converting from one channel to another, in particular in color conversion. Float and double are perfectly valid GIL channels, but their scope is –inf to inf, so you cannot linearly interpolate from a float to an uint8, for example. Thus they are not as useful as bits32f, but you can use them as long as you are careful not to do any operations that require using their range.
You are free to define a float/double channel with any other range you might find useful, such as 0..255 or –1..1
In Photoshop, for example there is a channel type that goes from 0 to 32768

Lubomir