Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [GIL new_io] range of gil floating point images
From: Robert Lupton the Good (rhl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-01 08:15:06

> Float and double are perfectly valid GIL channels, but their scope is ?inf to inf, so you cannot linearly interpolate from a float to an uint8, for example. Thus they are not as useful as bits32f

This has been a nuisance for us too --- we use gil to represent data from a telescope, where the scaling is a real pain as the floating point numbers represent the data read from the detectors. It'd be nice if gil came with the needed typedefs for pure floating (32 and 64 bit) images/views (as well as the ones that scale in [0,1] which are presumably what others want). It's too late to call the unscaled types 32f, but isn't 32F still available?