Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] polymorphic portablebinaryexamplenot working.
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-15 13:18:20

Mostafa wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:41:36 -0700, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]>
>> polymorphic versions of the archive classes are only needed if
>> you want to use the polymorphic archive interface rather than
>> the more common non-polymorphic interface.
>
> I understand that. What I don't understand is the need for the
> polymorphic .cpp files. All they seem to be doing is explicitly
> instantiating templates.

Correct - that's all they do.

>Additionally, they fail to compile because
> basic_pointer_iserializer and basic_pointer_oserializer are no longer
> template classes.

that's an oversight. The library implementation was re-factored slightly
and this got lost in the shuffle. one has to change the include to
?archive_serializer_map of something like that.

> Because there's no polymorphic_text_oarchive.cpp
> counterpart,

I think this is in the src directory. It should be pre-compiled into the
library so you never actually see it. The portable binary archive is
an example, so it's not included in the library.

>I didn't have a template (no pun intended) for fixing the
> polymorphic .cpp files.

I think I can just upload a polymorphic_portable_binary_?archive.cpp.
I'll consider this. However that creates another problem in that the
long file name might conflict with boost guidlines.

For these reasons I left them out of my
> build, and I was able to compile and test BOTH the polymorphic and
> non-polymorphic archives against strings and longs.

It surprises me that polymorphic_... versions would work without explicitly
instantiating the classes. Maybe in your case they were instantiated in
line.
I don't know about this.

> So, basically the
> question I had left was should the polymorphic *.cpp files be fixed or
> just left out when I post a patch to the trac?

Off hand I don't know the answer to this.

Robert Ramey