Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] polymorphicportablebinaryexamplenot working.
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-15 18:04:43

>> BTW, why are you using explicit instantiations with seperate template
>> .cpp files? It becomes a management nightmare keeping track of what
>> needs to be explicitly instantiated in large projects. They're
>> templates, so why not just have everything in headers? An additional
>> advantage being that code is only generated for code that's used
>> (implicitly instantiated) by the client.
>
> OK - you've got me.

No problem, what about the issue of explicit instantiations with seperate
template .ipp files vs. header only template files? The only reason I see
for the explicit instantiations is that some template class function
definitions are unexposed in headers.

Additionally, shouldn't have regression tests caught that
polymorphic_portable_binary_iarchive.cpp and
olymorphic_portable_binary_oarchive.cpp failed to compile?

-Mostafa