Subject: Re: [Boost-users] regex - build problem
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-16 10:50:03

AMDG

Christian Meesters wrote:
> I recently installed boost v1.42, everything seemed fine, but now I'm
> trying to use the regex-library -- and cannot compile/link my code
> anymore.
>
> gcc tells me that upon linking it cannot find 'libicudata.so.38',
> 'libicui18n.so.38', and 'libicuuc.so.38' and complaints about a number
> of undefined references.
> Indeed I have icu40 not 38 installed on my system. Just providing
> symbolic links with the appropriate names does not help.

What is the linker command line?

> I then tried updating my boost build with bjam. But bjam also complaints
> (with ./bjam --with-regex toolset=gcc -sHAVE_ICU=1 -sICU_PATH=/usr/lib):
>
> warning! ICU configuration failed
> Couldn't find utypes.h in /usr/lib/include/unicode
> warning: Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support
> disabled.
>
> There are no further warnings, yet linking still results in undefined
> references.

I assume that the undefined references are to ICU functions?
They shouldn't be coming from Boost.Regex, since if you're
missing utypes.h, I would expect your code to not compile
if it tried to use ICU.

> 'utypes.h' is nowhere on my system and apparently does not
> come with the icu-dev package.

This header is needed for Boost.Regex to use ICU. Do you
have other ICU headers?

> I am running the current Ubuntu (9.10), all updates installed. boost ist
> compiled on my system, no package involved. And I'm using gcc 4.4 - if
> that matters.
>
> Now, could this be a versions issue? Any hint on where to look further?
> Any ideas?

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe