Subject: [Boost-users] [date time] convert UTC date-time to run-time-determined local time zone
From: eburkitt_at_[hidden]
Date: 2010-03-17 00:33:11

I'm developing a program that will perform tasks on behalf of clients in
various (US) time zones. It receives a UTC date-time from the client, along
with an offset from UTC and a flag as to whether the client's area observes
DST. The program needs to convert the time into both its own local time and
the client's local time. I have not been able to come up with a reasonable
way to do either in the date-time library.

The only way I can find in the library to convert UTC to local time
requires me to know the time zone at compile time. For the client I have
the offset from UTC and its local DST observance policy. (I can stipulate
at this point that the client uses US DST rules.) For the program itself, I
have only what I can query from the computer on which it runs.

Am I missing something obvious?