Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problem regarding downloading Boost 1.42.0
From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 09:36:23

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Wasik Mursalin Rushafi
<rushafi_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to download the latest boost library from here<http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.42.0/>but failing. is there any problem? isn't it available or I am the only one
> facing this problem?
>
> What is your country of residence? I can download it, but lately I read
this post on TeXNicCenter web-site:

SourceForge.net <http://sourceforge.net/> is our provider of development and
download services. Last month they
decided<http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying-sourceforgenets-denial-of-site-access-for-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/>
exclude users from Cuba, Iran, North Korea and other countries from
downloading our and other software hosted on their site; thereby following
US export restrictions. I (and I am confident that the rest of the team
follows me on this one) believe that export restrictions are not compatible
to the spirit of Free Software. Furthermore, TeXnicCenter is predominantly
developed in Germany, i.e., US law does not apply. And even if US law would
apply, we do not use any technology that is subject to US export
restrictions (e.g., encryption). Hence, the exclusion of some of our users
by SourceForge was a big disappointment to me and triggered thoughts about
switching to a different site.

Yesterday, SourceForge
announced<http://sourceforge.net/blog/some-good-news-SourceForge-removes-blanket-blocking/>
that
they changed this policy in the following way: every project can now decide
whether they fall under the US export restrictions or not. If not, project
admins are able to open the download service for their project to the whole
world. This is exactly what I did today.

May be Boost-Project had some similar issue? I tried to start the download
from Germany and it worked.

Regards,
Ovanes