Subject: Re: [Boost-users] bjam buil "hangs"
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-06 16:08:53

Jean-Pierre Bergamin wrote:

> Am 06.04.2010, 17:00 Uhr, schrieb Vladimir Prus
> <vladimir_at_[hidden]>:
>
>> Jean-Pierre Bergamin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone
>>>
>>> I'm trying to build boost 1.42 on XP with Visual Studio 2005 with the
>>> following commands in the Visual Studio Command Prompt:

>>> --with-serialization --with-regex --with-program_options
>>> --with-filesystem
>>> --with-date_time --prefix=%boost_dir% --includedir=%boost_dir%
>>> --libdir=%boost_dir%\lib --exec-prefix=%boost_dir% install
>>>
>>> Now bjam "hangs", using 50% CPU (one core fully utilized), after this
>>> output:
>>
>> For how long does it stay this way? Just want to make sure this is hang,
>> and not an unexpectedly slow, but ultimately successful, execution.
>
> Ooops. I let it run in the background and after 35 minutes (!!!) the build
> started. Versions < 1.40.0 never had this issue that it took so long
> before the build started.
> I either need a new notebook or more patience. :-)

That seems bizarre. You've said that --build-type=complete alone does not
cause this problem. Can you identify a minimal set of additional options
that cause this problem? Once that done, can you add additional '-n -d0 -d+10'
options and send me the output? It's gonna be big, so personal email might
be best choice. -d+10 enables profiling, so I'll be able to figure what
piece of code is misbehaving.

- Volodya