Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [program options] option_description name as string
From: Anthony Foglia (AFoglia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-22 18:10:54

Chard wrote:
> "Anthony Foglia" <AFoglia_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> Is there any reason why options can't be constructed with a string?
>> Otherwise I'll open a feature request bug.
>
> This did come up recently on the dev list.
>
> FWIW, here's the thread:
>
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2010/03/162646.php

Interesting, but I don't see a final decision. The argument seems to
boil down to:

Having versions that took strings would be convenient.
But for users who use string literals, their code would bloat with the
implicit string conversion code.
Adding the overloads might be fine, but the maintainer, Volodya, needs
to think about it.

Sounds like he got busy and forgot, so I'll add it to the tracker.

--
Anthony Foglia
Princeton Consultants