Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] void_caster fix ...
From: Bogdan (bogdan.indy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-03 19:35:29

I have created a small project that exhibits consistently the problem. This
test comprises of the following components:

- BaseDll.dll
- TestSer.exe - linked with BaseDll.dll.
- ExportDll.dll - linked with BaseDll.dll.

There are three classe classes (all serializable):

- polymorphic_base implemented inside BaseDll.dll;
- polymorphic_derived1 derived from polymorphic_base and implemented inside
BaseDll.dll
- polymorphic_derived2 derived from polymorphic_base and implemented inside
ExportDll.dll

TestSer.exe loads ExportDll.dll dynamically via ::LoadLibrary() and calls
the the function entry_point() exported by ExportDll.dll using
::GetProcAddress().

Both main() in TestSer.exe and entry_point() in ExportDll.dll create an
object polymorphic_derived1 (i.e., the class defined inside BaseDll.dll) and
display its address, respectively.

Please note, there is no serialization involved.

Results:
Using boost 1.42 this test fails due to the ASSERT on symbol duplication in
basic_serializer_map.cpp.
After updating basic_serializer_map.cpp to the version that will eventually
go in 1.43, this test fails with the error I described in detail in
"[serialization] Potential problems with void_caster".
If I change void_cast.cpp to the latest version ( I am afraid that is a post
1.43 version), everything works fine.

Setup:
I am using a debug build on Visual Studio 2008 Professional with SP1.
OS - Windows XP Professional sp 3.
The test is run with a version of the boost library built with the following
command line
bjam -q -a --layout=tagged --build-dir=C:\Downloads\boost_build
--prefix=C:\_APP_\boost_1_42_0 --without-python --without-mpi toolset=msvc
address-model=32 variant=debug link=static,shared threading=multi
runtime-link=shared install

In conclusion, if the latest version of void_cast.cpp is not going in boost
1.43, I believe the serialization library will have a problem with this
scenario.

Thank you,

Bogdan