Subject: [Boost-users] [statechart] exception_translator < >
From: Georg gast (schorsch_76_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-04 14:09:31

Hi all!

Currently i'm working on a project and i'm using boost::state_chart for
implementing my asyncrone statecharts. Everything seems ok so far. But i
have a small problem. My used client library, which is handled in the
statemachine, throws sometime an exception. I said to me: "Not a
problem, i will use an exception_translator."
At home i made a simple project under Linux/g++ 4.4 (-Wall -pedantic)
and MSVC2008 . No problems.

At work we use MSVC2005 SP1 and boost 1.42.0. There i cant compile my
simple statechart example. (currently i dont have the error messages
here at my PC).

The documentation states at
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/libs/statechart/doc/tutorial.html#ExceptionHandling

<---------------------------------------->
Discriminating Exceptions
Unfortunately, this idiom (using throw; inside a try block nested inside
a catch block) does not work on at least one very popular compiler. If
you have to use one of these platforms, you can pass a customized
exception translator class to the state_machine class template. This
will allow you to generate different events depending on the type of the
exception.

and under

http://www.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/statechart.html
All tests "pass" for MSVC2005SP1 but i can't find a exception_translator
test there (or i'm too blind) ;)

So my question: Is MSVC2005SP1 "this very popular compiler" which cant
handle exception_translators?

@Andreas: Thanks for that very useful library! :-D

Best Regards

Georg Gast