Subject: [Boost-users] boost and Obj-C++ ("id" variables)
From: Manfred Schwind (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-07 06:58:12

Hi,

in some headers, boost is using "id" as variable name. This makes is impossible to use those headers in Obj-C (or better Obj-C++) code, because "id" has a special meaning there.
I worked around by renaming these id variables in the boost headers for every new boost release (hoping that it will be fixed in the next release), but this is ugly.
Now I looked into the boost trac, and found that this problem was reported - and fixed! - multiple times. I can read from the trac that it SHOULD haven been fixed in the latest 1.43.0 (if I read that correct). It's fixed and it's Milestone is 1.43.0. So I downloaded boost 1.43.0 - but the problem is still there. Still "id" variables. How can this be? Doesn't this mean there are serious problems in source code control? Or hasn't the fix just not made its way into 1.43 - where can I read in which version a fix really appears?

If I read it right, it should have been fixed in boost 1.37.0:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/48751

But appeared again and should now be fixed in boost 1.43.0:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/61789

Any ideas what happens here?

Regards,
Mani