Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [uuid] to string problem
From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-11 17:58:09

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM, John Dlugosz
<JDlugosz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> > or standalone function? AFAIK lexical_cast has a lot of overhead :(
>>
>> Hmm, I haven't really given it much thought.  Since it doesn't need to
>> be a member function, I would lean toward a standalone function.  Do
>> any other libraries have a similar function?  I would likely create:
>>
>> template <typename C, typename T, typename A>
>> std::basic_string<C, T, A> to_basic_string(boost::uuids::uuid const&
>> u);
>>
>> as well as,
>>
>> std::string to_string(boost::uuids::uuid const& u);
>> std::wstring to_wstring(boost::uuids::uuid conts& u);
>
> How about making explicit specializations of lexical_cast that would be faster than the general implementation?  That way the optimization is invisible.

Nevermind optimizations, I think that a simple function call is easier
to use and more practical: std::string x=to_string(y). Lexical_cast is
in a different domain altogether IMO, plus it has other issues, for
example it can't use ADL.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.