Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread] windows.h threads and boost.thread can work together?
From: Eric J. Holtman (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-15 13:26:47

On 5/15/2010 10:00 AM, martabm wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> In an existing and large visual c++ application, I want to port
> threads from windows.h ones (CreateThread function) to boost.thread.
>
> Due to the size of the application I must do it progressively, so it
> means, during a while, the coexistence of windows threads with boost
> threads. Is it a bad idea? Can they work together? Threads here are
> synchronized by events and critical sections which also I want to port
> to boost Condition Variables and Mutexes.

I just did this for a large application, a little bit at a time.

It worked fine.

In fact, I think things got better and easier to understand, all the
WaitFor*Object calls disappeared into nice clean RAII structures,
other nice things like "interrupt" came for free, etc, etc.

And I really liked being able to use condition variables instead
of a mix of other sync objects, that cleaned up a ton of unclear
rat's nest of code, as well as getting rid of a few places where
I was using windows Events in ways known to be broken and
deprecated.