Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problem compiling simple boost::thread code on Ubuntu9.10 :: GCC4.4.1 vs boost ?
From: Marius Stoica (letto2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-27 07:23:14

On Thursday 27 May 2010 00:45:51 octopusdesign.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at developing a cross-platform application in C++ using the QT
> library && Netbeans on Ubuntu (9.10) and I'd like to be able to use Boost
> libs for threading so I've installed libboost1.40-all-dev.
>
> My version of gcc is :: 4.4.1
>
> I've read there is a problem between this version of gcc and boost and that
> there is a patch somewhere. I'm a bit of a linux newbie so if anyone knows
> about this and can point me at the patch, it'd be great.

If you installed both from the repository it's probably alreaddy applied.
Distros usually keep their repository consistent.

Also you need to pass -lboost_thread to the linker. You seem to be using qmake
wich i don't think is verry seriously developed. You could have a look at
moving to cmake wich seems to be the nicest build systems these days.

I'd also reccomend you don't get into the habbit of relying too much on the
ide especially on this kind of things. If you use linux it pays to learn to
how to use the cli and you're pretty much expected to use the build tools
directly.