Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [thread] Is Boost suitable for this application?
From: Francisco Javier Porras Gálvez (francisco.porras.78_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-06 23:29:59

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry" <jerry.jeremiah_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost-users_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 4:51 AM

> Francisco Javier Porras Gálvez <francisco.porras.78 <at> hotmail.com>
> writes:
>>
>> Hi, Jerry.
>>
>> Thanks for your support!
>>
>> I hadn't any idea about what a socket was, but after "googling" a little
>> and
>> read about in NI pages, I have it clearer now.
>>
>> LabView uses a tool called DataSocket to share data between different
>> applications or/and the internet. Moreover, I "discovered" that LabView
>> includes a set of C++ libraries in what is called "Measurement Studio".
>> One
>> of this libraries implements also "DataSocket", and in NI forums they
>> state
>> is possible to share data between two applications in C++ and LabView
>> using
>> this DataSocket tool.
>>
>> So, I think this is the right direction. Your clue was really useful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Francisco
>>

> Sorry for the confusion: Actually I wasn't suggesting that you use a
> socket to
> communicate between two applications. Although if you want to be able to
> run
> the C++ stuff on a different machine or retrive the data from more than
> one
> application then this is a good move. If all you want is Labview to talk
> another thread in the same application then use a DLL with a separate
> thread.
> There is no reason to make a socket if you can use a DLL instead unless
> you
> need to be able to connect to the DLL from more than one app or from an
> app on
> a different machine.
>
> The only reason I mentioned the socket stuff was as an example of
> something I
> needed to run a thread in a DLL to accomplish. I guess I ramble a bit too
> much :-)
>
> Jerry

Hi, Jerry.

Hehehe, ok, don't worry. I think this "DataSocket" stuff it's going to be
very useful for another application I have to deal with. So, in the end, it
was very helpful:)

So, your suggestion is to use the first aproach, isn't it? This application
will run on Windows. In "Cplusplus" forums I was suggested to use Boost
because Windows API threads aren't very friendly with synchronization.

I don't know much about threads, but what I find more difficult to asume is
the fact of creating a thread with a function, and then, after this function
has ended, share data with the created thread using another function. Due to
this, I can't use OpenMP, for example, because its thread behaviour follows
the fork-join model.

Anyway, I'll follow your advice and try to integrate your example in my
code.

Thanks for the attached code!

Francisco