Subject: [Boost-users] DLL names for special options
From: John Dlugosz (JDlugosz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-09 13:26:40

I need to build 2 Boost libraries that are compatible with my project's debug build options.

First, what do I name it? The section on "Library Naming" shows ...-gd... being included in the options, etc. But, how do I tag the name as having my needed #define options configured? In particular,
        _HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0;_BIND_TO_CURRENT_VCLIBS_VERSION=1
causes incompatible code in standard includes and links to different runtimes.
I also want to compile to be compatible with a so-called Debug build, but not disable optimizations within Boost code since I don't plan on stepping through it.

On a related question, I don't see any marker in the name for platform, so how are x86 versions distinguished from x64 builds of the same code?

Now, since I'm already trying to get every team and project in this large application suite to use a single "build_conventions" property sheet in Visual Studio to keep such things in one place and indeed matching for everyone, the simplest thing to do, since I only need two boost libraries so treated, is to just make a Visual Studio project with my "sheet" and all the source files, and let'er'rip.

Assuming that's a good idea, I still need to know how to get the "auto link" feature to point to my correct version name. I see from auto_link.hpp that BOOST_LIB_RT_OPT is where the "gd" part is put in, and that might be where some of these are encoded. But I don't see anything for separate optimization vs. debug-target, platform type, etc.
If I just throw in a 'z' to mean "my stuff", where is BOOST_LIN_RT_OPT supposed to be set? What would I change so that team members will automatically link against the custom versions?

Thanks,
--John

(sorry about the footer)

TradeStation Group, Inc. is a publicly-traded holding company (NASDAQ GS: TRAD) of three operating subsidiaries, TradeStation Securities, Inc. (Member NYSE, FINRA, SIPC and NFA), TradeStation Technologies, Inc., a trading software and subscription company, and TradeStation Europe Limited, a United Kingdom, FSA-authorized introducing brokerage firm. None of these companies provides trading or investment advice, recommendations or endorsements of any kind. The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.