Subject: Re: [Boost-users] help with thread::interrupt
From: Conoscenza Silente (abruzzoforteegentile_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-13 17:19:35

Hi Rush
I thank you very much! It works and now boost::interrupt is more clear to
me.

Can I ask you and who might help me one more question if you have time?
I hope is an easy one.

In a scenario where my thread is very CPU consuming , in your opinion which
is the better
way to create an interruption point?

#1 using a call to boost::this_thread::interruption_point()
#2 or using boost::this_thread::sleep( boost::posix_time::milliseconds( 0 )
)

Initially I thought the probably #1 might be better since seems created just
to throw the boost::thread_interrupted without any extra overhead due to
call to OS time posix libraries.

I gave a thought and I think that it might be better to chose the second one
since giving sleep( 0 ) might help the
OS scheduler in switching to another thread blocked. I am running under
Linux but I think that also in Windows might be the same.

Do you think that this reasoning make sense ?
Beside my specific case is it more efficient to call
boost::this_thread::interruption_point()?

Kind Regards
AFG