Subject: [Boost-users] Shared memory access denied
From: Carla Strembicke (Carla.Strembicke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-15 16:26:17

Using boost shared memory. One process creates shared memory ( as an administrator on windows).
shared_memory_object(open_or_create, pShareName, read_write);

Another process ( not administrator) tries to open and map to shared memory.
shared_memory_object(open_only, pShareName, read_write); <-this fails with access denied

Check permissions in on file and users only have a read permission. Once those are changes ( after created by the process running as administrator) the file can then be opened and shared by the other process. Is this how shared memory works. I check the code and createfile has a file_share_read|write|delete option and is set to Generic_read|write.

I have not been able to find any literature on a solution, but have seen the problem on the net.

Thanks

Carla Strembicke
Software Developer

[cid:image9f88f7.jpg_at_6cbb1949.05f74c72]

SUBNET Solutions Inc.
www.SUBNET.com<http://www.subnet.com/>
Making Substations More Intelligent
T: 403.270.8885
F: 403.270.9631

#100, 4639 Manhattan Road SE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada; T2G 4B3
Follow SUBNET: Twitter<http://www.subnet.com/subnetsoc-t.htm> | Facebook<http://www.subnet.com/subnetsoc-f.htm> | Linkedln<http://www.subnet.com/subnetsoc-l.htm>
Visit the all new SUBNET website at http://www.SUBNET.com>

CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail is privileged, confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.

image9f88f7.jpg@6cbb1949.05f74c72