Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Connect holes in polygon
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-17 03:31:01

Hi Dan,

Macumber, Daniel wrote:
> Hi Barend, thanks for the reply. As I understand it the algorithm is not that simple but I would be happy to find out I am wrong. The requirements I have are that the "seams" cannot cut through any holes, the connect_holes algorithm does prevent seams crossing holes this but may have to create new vertices for seam "take-offs" to travel to other holes. I have tried using the QPolygon class in Qt, it has an simple implementation that just iterates around all the holes but can lead to seams crossing holes (or seams going out of the boundary of the outer polygon). Do you think an easy solution exists given these requirements?

There are configurations (with multiple holes) thinkable where these
requirements are not possible, where a straight seam cannot reach the
outer ring without cutting a hole, even if new vertices are created.
Unless it is allowed for the seams to connect holes (and from there to
exterior ring).
Anyway, for simple configurations it is of course possible to create a
solution, but it is not yet implemented or planned in Boost.Geometry.
What is the use case for this requirement?

Regards, Barend