Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Serialization] assert in void_caster
From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-29 16:08:10

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> On Windows, the standard library goes to great lengths to make
>> std::type_info objects that identify the same type from different DLLs
>> compare equal. This could lead to problems in case the DLLs have
>> different version of the type, but it doesn't mean that the use is
>> invalid when all DLLs have identical copies of the type.
> <snip>
> In my view, including the same code in different DLLS is a symptom
> of poor code organization.

Nevertheless, it is valid code organization and the standard library's
type_info implementation and exception handling implementation has
specific support for it. I think that Boost libraries should support
it as well.

> So my view is to trap it (at least in debug
> builds) and permit the user to override the trap if he is willing
> to be responsable for the consequences.

Oh, I am sorry I didn't understand that there is a way for the assert
to be avoided -- nevermind then!

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.