Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Newbie: Building boost with Visual Studio 2008
From: David Aldrich (David.Aldrich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-07 09:57:16

Hi KTC

Thanks for your reply.

> Well, it's normally by running bootstrap.bat at <BOOST_ROOT>/ but okay.

Ok, I have built bjam that way now.

> What is your exact command?

I just ran 'bjam'. That does indeed place the libraries in <BOOST_ROOT>/stage/lib/. So all is well now and my original question is answered. Thanks.

Some RegEx example code runs fine but I have a problem building a Boost.Python example.

The libraries in <BOOST_ROOT>/stage/lib/ include:

libboost_python-vc90-mt-gd-1_43.lib

I am now trying to run the example in the boost.python 'EmbeddingPython wiki page, which begins:

#include <boost/python.hpp>
using namespace boost::python;
int main( int argc, char ** argv ) {
  try {
    Py_Initialize();
[snip]

When I build it I get error:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'boost_python-vc90-mt-gd-1_43.lib'

Why does the linker want a library file beginning 'boost_python' when bjam has generated library files beginning 'libboost_python' ?

Best regards

David