Subject: Re: [Boost-users] apply std::pow to vector or matrix
From: Max S. Kaznady (max.kaznady_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-13 11:03:18

Actually, in the code I have to first fill a vector and then apply an
operation, so if I'm just applying the operation then Boost is faster
with iterators (manually, I can fill and apply the operation in one
line of code; for iterators it's 2 lines). There is also quite a lot
of uncertainty (I included unbiased std dev estimates):

Boost transform avg time:
0.001945000000000 +/- 0.003958350900841
Boost for_each avg time:
0.001751000000000 +/- 0.003800716188346
Boost manual fill avg time:
0.001591000000000 +/- 0.003657876023829
GSL avg time:
0.001625000000000 +/- 0.003689273109110

I agree - using iterators it the way to go. The code is more readable,
and you do actually get a performance boost, since most of the time
you're not filling the vector and applying an operation - you are just
applying an operation to a vector which has already been filled.

Cheers,
Max