Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Storing boost as a 'vendor library' within svn and minimising it's size
From: David Aldrich (David.Aldrich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-15 04:31:51

Hi

As the original poster, I thought I should respond to the comments made ;-)

> A released Boost version is (I believe) a completely fixed thing,
> so putting in a system whose
> purpose is track change seems bizarre to me.

Our application uses several third party libraries, including wxWidgets and SystemC. Adding Boost makes the development environment even more complex. As a newbie, I would suggest that Boost is not easy to build. Even the installation of third party pre-built binaries is not easy. Our developers have plenty to worry about without having to be concerned about configuring a complex build environment. Also, they are spread geographically so that support is not easy. Lastly, it is very important that all developers use the same library version across all platforms, so that build errors can be reproduced and fixed.

All this means, for us, that storing Boost as a vendor library, including binaries, is preferable. Yes, it will affect performance (checkout times) but it will not break Subversion.

Best regards

David