Subject: Re: [Boost-users] postpone thread execution
From: Bill Buklis (boostuser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-15 14:53:14

> In boost::thread, when a thread is created, it starts execution at that
> instance itself. Instead of this, is it possible to postpone the
execution?

> No. You can have the thread function block on a condition variable or
> something straight away though. That way you can control when it resumes
> by setting the flag and notifying the condition variable.

I know that this can be easily done in Windows with the CREATE_SUSPENDED
flag. Can this be done in boost::thread? If not, I would consider this a big
limitation. Do other operating systems support this? Surely, Windows isn't
the only one. On that note does boost::thread support suspending and
resuming thread execution? I haven't used boost::thread (only native Windows
calls), so I don't know.

-- Bill --