Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [geometry] periodic boundary conditions
From: alfC (alfredo.correa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-23 14:20:22

On Jul 23, 10:32 am, Barend Gehrels <bar..._at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Boost.Geometry supports euclidean distances between points or
> points-lines in 3D. I've no experience in particle simulations, so don't
> know what to expect, but I'm curious to your findings.

just to complete the idea. in particle simulations more often that not
we use periodic boundary conditions.
the trick is that the particles are free to move in 3D (this helps to
simulate difussion in liquids), but
the interactions (distances) are computed as if all the particles are
still in the original box.

so, the keys are euclidean distances and torus topology.

> The architecture of the library is described in two papers written for
> BoostCon'09 and BoostCon'10, they can be downloaded here:http://trac.osgeo.org/ggl/wiki/BoostCon

Thank you for the references.

Alfredo