Subject: [Boost-users] boost_python: static vs shared library sizes on Windows
From: David Aldrich (David.Aldrich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-28 11:18:36

Hi

I asked for help a week or so back regarding storing boost_python as a vendor library in our project's svn repository. The aim being to relieve our Windows developers of the effort of installing and building boost. This also ensures that everyone is using the same version.

I have built shared libraries for boost_python and everything works nicely now except that it is necessary to include the path to the boost libraries in the system's PATH variable.

I would rather not have to modify PATH, so I considered using static libraries instead. However, I was surprised to find that the static libraries are very much bigger than the shared libraries. So I would rather use shared libraries.

Is there a way of telling the .exe file the path to the necessary dll's at build time?

Is this a purpose of a manifest file?

Best regards

David