Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Stumped!
From: Stefan Strasser (strasser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-09 10:07:12

Zitat von Robert Jones <robertgbjones_at_[hidden]>:

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On 9 August 2010 13:29, Robert Jones <robertgbjones_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> > The code I write needs to compile under several older versions
>> > of Boost, as I'm sure is very common.
>> >
>> > I have been tripped up by using const_pointer_cast, which apparently
>> > doesn't exist very far into the past.
>>
>> The header 'ponter_cast.hpp' was added in boost 1.34, if that helps.
>>

> It does, on this specific query, which makes my life somewhat easier today,
> thanks!
>
> In general I was hoping for a more general excavation strategy for older
> versions,
> as this kinda thing comes up quite often.

why don't you write code for the oldest version you need to support?
the documentation for some old versions is still online. just change
the version number in the URL. even older versions should still be
available for download.

boost library authors usually keep the breaking changes for new
versions to a minimum and document them.
this is probably easier than backporting.