Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost.MPI] question about serializingcustomobject
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-27 20:03:24

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I might mention - though it's slightly off topic - that a similar idea
> occurred to me with the xml_archive so that when one created
> an xml_archive he would have the option of simultaneously creating
> a xml_schema which could be used by an xml_editor to create/validate
> changes to the archive.

The problem is that depth-first pointer serialization as done by
Boost.Serialization is really inappropriate for any kind of sensible
XML schema creation. Things that really ought to be done with xml:ref
end up being child elements, and you don't end up with a structure
that's coherent for humans. One of our clients has already spent a
great of money for us to develop XML serialization for their
application, in part because they were dissatisfied with the results
they could get using Boost.Serialization.

So this is another area where you might ask yourself whether it's a
use-case you really want to make the effort to support. It seems like
an important application, but it could mean fundamental changes for
you.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing