Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost.MPI] question about serializingcustomobject
From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-28 12:36:53

Dave Abrahams wrote:

> BoostPro Computing, http://boostpro.com
> Sent from coveted but awkward mobile device
> --
>
> On Aug 28, 2010, at 6:15 AM, Jeff Flinn <TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> So what happens if the some data member that is a base class pointer gets modified to point to some other instance of a derived class? Doesn't that change the 'structure'?
>
> Yes of course. However, many MPI applications never need to do that.

No doubt many don't. I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of
boost.mpi and provide some of that feedback you asked for else thread. :-)

Does MPI detect those changes automatically resending the skeleton
information as required? Or does the user code need to explicitly manage
such situations? Or does this disallow usage of the skeleton approach
altogether in these situations.

Thanks, Jeff