Subject: [Boost-users] Building Boost on Mac Snow Leopard
From: Andrew Maclean (andrew.amaclean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-29 01:35:04

Hi All,
   If I build boost using bjam (no problems there) and set in .bashrc:
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:${BOOST_ROOT}/stage/lib"
Things seem to work OK when when calling applications from the command
line in a terminal. However if I invoke the application e.g. x.app
from the Finder the boost dynamic libraries are not found.

If I run for example,
otool -D /Users/andrewmaclean/Code/GeneralLibraries/boost_1_44_0/stage/lib/libboost_date_time.dylib
/Users/andrewmaclean/Code/GeneralLibraries/boost_1_44_0/stage/lib/libboost_date_time.dylib:
libboost_date_time.dylib

Clearly no absolute path is set.

It seems to me that Finder is ignoring the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH variable,
I even changed it to DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH to see if it would
make any difference. So the only solution I have is to install boost
into the default system libraries, where it works perfectly.

Now comes the interesting question. If I build VTK then the absolute
paths are put into the dynamic libraries. So something in CMake/gcc
actually adds these paths into the dynamic libraries.

Why doesn't bjam do this? Is there a parameter I am missing?

Rgeards
Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean
Centre for Autonomous Systems