Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Creating a thread and blocking its execution
From: Christoph Heindl (christoph.heindl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-31 15:14:00

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
<js.stoezel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I would like to create a thread from this initialization method, and wait
> for it to execute until the whole initialization process it done.

I would use a condition variable plus a boolean state (a primitive
event) that is passed to the thread-function upon creation (utilizing
boost::bind). thread waits for the condition to be signaled. the
initialization routine updates the state and notifies the condition
upon completion.

If you need this pattern frequently, I'd suggest to extract that logic
from CSubsystem::TaskWrapper into common class.

Best regards,
Christoph