Subject: [Boost-users] Looking for Halfedge or other topologic representation library
From: Lang Stefan (SLang_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-02 10:45:41

 Hello everyone,

While looking for an existing implementation of halfedge data structures
or similar topological representations of 2-dimensional manifolds I
found one article pointing to boost:graph. I've checked the
documentation, but it seem that this library is way to generic/abstract
for my purpose, and yet seems to miss a number of important functions
that probably only make sense when working with a topological
representation of a two-dimensional oriented manifold.

Conceptually, Half-edge data structures would fit my needs very well,
and I've found several sites with half-done or half-documented
implemetations. But those that actually had code were either too
specific to be useful for my purposes, or half of the site couldn't be
retrieved, probably because the relevant pages are no longer hosted.

So I was wondering, if there is, maybe, another library within boost
that is dealing more with the topological aspect of graphs, whether or
not based on boost::graph?

What I am looking for is a topological framework for oriented surfaces
that lets me retrieve adjacency information regarding faces, edges and
vertices, disregardful of whether or not the set of surfaces represent
the full surface of a 3D object or just a part of it. I also need to
directly navigate between the objects defining the actual 3D points,
curves, and surfaces, and the corresponding topological objects. But
that, I hope, is just a minor detail.

I suspect it won't be so hard to implement myself, but building on a
well-designed library is so much less error prone...

Cheers,

Stefan