Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [process] Determine if a process is still running?
From: Rok Breulj (sephirok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-07 19:00:19

Hey,

it's actually extremely simple. Feel free to use the following code if it
helps you:

bool Process::isRunning(pid_t pID) {
    if (pID <= 0) {
        return false;
    }
#if defined(PLATFORM_ENVIRONMENT_WIN32)
    HANDLE handle = OpenProcess(SYNCHRONIZE, false, pID);
    if (!handle) {
        return false;
    } else {
        CloseHandle(handle);
        return true;
    }
#elif defined(PLATFORM_ENVIRONMENT_UNIX)
    if (kill(pID, 0) == -1) {
        return false;
    } else {
        return true;
    }
#endif
}

Just keep in mind that zombie pids will be reported as running.