Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Interaction between boost::timer and boost::thread
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-08 14:57:57

Matthieu Brucher wrote:
> 2010/9/8 Eric J. Holtman <eric_at_[hidden]>:
>> On 9/8/2010 11:48 AM, Matthieu Brucher wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't use
>>> them now in production code when they may not be supported in the
>>> future.
>>>

>> No snark here.... serious question.... what guaranty do you have
>> that *any* boost library will be supported in the future?

What guarentee do you have that ANYTHING will be supported in the future.
Can you guarentee that your own code will be?

Once you import the boost source into your project, it becomes yours
to do with what you will - just like your own code. So the risk/commitment
is on worse than it is for your own code. Of course, a boost library
might well be supported in the future - which would save you tons
of work if/when that happens. If at some point it were to not be
supported any more, you'd be no worse off than you would be
with your own code.

So I can see no economic case for deciding not to use a boost library
if it does what you need.

Robert Ramey