Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [python] python 3 with boost 1.44, without using bjam
From: dhruva (dhruvakm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-09 23:37:50

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Geoff Hilton
<geoff.hilton_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> ComputeEntropy.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
> "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual unsigned int __thiscall
> boost::python::objects::py_function_impl_base::max_arity(void)const "
> (__imp_?max_arity_at_py_function_impl_base_at_objects@python_at_boost@@UBEIXZ)
> ComputeEntropy.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
> "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual __thiscall
> boost::python::objects::py_function_impl_base::~py_function_impl_base(void)"
> (__imp_??1py_function_impl_base_at_objects@python_at_boost@@UAE_at_XZ)
> ComputeEntropy.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
> "__declspec(dllimport) class boost::python::api::object __cdecl

Based on the errors, I suspect that the linker is not picking up the
boost python lib for linking! IIRC, there is a way to get the command
line options that would get sent to the MSVC linker. Go to the project
in which you have added the extra libraries to link with, in the same
dialog box somewhere at the bottom, you can see the result of the
information you set in a way it gets sent to the linker. Please
examine that to see if you see "libboost_python3-vc90-mt-1_44.lib". I
hope you have added the folder containing the libs in the lib search
path (which translates to -L option to the linker).

As a quick and dirty fix to avoid tweaking the project settings manually:
Add the following line in a top level header that gets included in
files that use boost.python
Make sure you have the library search path set or try putting absolute
path in the pragma.
#pragma comment( lib, "libboost_python3-vc90-mt-1_44" )

PS: It has been over 2 years since I have worked on Windows
environment and I have no access to a windows box to try things out
myself. Also, I have not used boost.python and I am troubleshooting
more from a generic perspective. My suggestions are based on tough
memorable experiences try to solve them. My memory might be rusty.

-dhruva