Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost.Test] Understanding the correct use of BOOST_CHECK_CLOSE and BOOST_CHECK_CLOSE_FRACTION
From: Torri, Stephen CIV NSWCDD, W15 (stephen.torri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-10 09:17:06

Thanks for the input. On the advice of a co-worker I am using a normalized variance ( value - reference ) / reference. Of course you can't use the check if the reference is zero. In that case I simply use BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL. Here is how I did the macro:

#define BOOST_CHECK_VARIANCE( L, R ) BOOST_CHECK_LT ( fabs ( ( L - R ) / R ), 1e-9 )

I can change that to be

#define BOOST_CHECK_VARIANCE( L, R ) BOOST_CHECK_SMALL ( ( L - R ) / R, 1e-9 )

What would have to do finish the implementation of a proper print algorithm so that 9.999999e-13 is displayed as 1e-12?

Stephen