Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Serialization] [Portable Binary]
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-12 14:54:26

William Oquendo wrote:
> Hi, thanks for the reply.
>
> In the final version of the program, I needed to manipulate also
> float values. I was testing on Snow Leopard + gcc 4.5 , then, when
> running the same code with the same binary data, the program did not
> run both on Lunix Slackware64 13.1 + gcc 4.4.4, and Linux Slackware
> 23.0 + gcc 4.4.4 (and gcc 4.3).

SO, temporarily, I had to rewrote everything to handle only text files, and
now everything is working.

Hmmm - what did you have to re-write? You should only have to specify
a different archive type when you invoke serializtion.

> I will try to isolate the issue in a smaller code to check if this is
> a compiler issue, a platform issue, or a boost::binary issue.

I think I took a look at the float which is part of portable binary archive.
I don't remember how that got in there. But it doesn't look portable to
me. Even assuming that

a) all floats were iee754,
b) that could trap all Nan's as errors

it would require providing conversion amongst 80, 64, 32, 24, 16 and 8 bit
floats.
This is quite doable, but also a significant effort to build, test
and integrate to boost standards.

Robert Ramey