Subject: Re: [Boost-users] M68K-Coldfire: Boost 1.44 seems to have a problem with low level locking
From: Andreas Wehrmann (a.wehrmann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-15 04:24:59

> Boost is now using gcc atomics, but it assumes them to be available everywhere, which is not the
> case. Adding
>
> define=BOOST_SP_DISABLE_THREADS
>
> or
>
> define=BOOST_SP_USE_PTHREADS
>
> to build command should fix this error (at the price of either thread safety or performance)

I tried BOOST_SP_USE_PTHREADS and BOOST_SP_USE_SPINLOCK of which neither
one works.
I am not willing to pay the price for losing thread safety, which is why
I haven't tried the other define.

>> Btw. I'm also using boost version 1.38 in another project (but on the
>> same platform).
>> My compiler is g++ version 4.2.0 20070318 (prerelease) (Sourcery G++
>> Lite 4.2-35).
> That's pretty old compiler, our current lite releases are 4.4-*. However, upgrading is not
> likely to fix your immediate issue.
>
> - Volodya

I know, we upgraded to the 4.4 version once and had nothing but problems
which is why we reverted to 4.2.

Thanks for your hints thus far,
do you have any idea of why BOOST_SP_USE_PTHREADS doesn't work?
I've seen that where we're using boost 1.38 it is being compiled with
that define set in user.hpp
but for 1.41 it is not...

Best regards

--