Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Read from serial devices on USB
Date: 2010-09-15 15:05:18

  Hi,
> So i need to write specific code for each platform, right? What is the
> type i get from that "native()" call in windows and in mac (the two
> target platforms).? So i can search for the docs for each and then do
> some... #ifdef PC, etc. And on what should i call such "native()"
> method? Can i assume the os-specifics "native type" for PC/WINDOWS
> ie(winxp, 2000, vista, 7, etc) to be the same or is that also a
> concern? Are there any known libraries that wrap around this stuff to
> avoid getting into this stuff? Thank you again, Ale

i haven't used the serial io_service yet, but i guess it uses a file
handle created by CreateFile() on Windows
(http://lists.boost.org/mailman/options.cgi/boost-users/mailing-lists%40michi7x7.de)
and
on Linux and MacOS surely a file handle to /dev/tty... is used (because
these FIFOs can be opened using fopen()). native() returns a file-handle
then.

Because I haven't yet used such functionality, i don't know of any
library that wraps it, but you might contribute one to bost ;)

On note to the bluetooth-question: I just found parts of a
bluetooth-device-api on MSDN, I'm not sure if Windows can wrap them to
COM-Devices. But I'm quite sure, that there are no problems if they can
be accessed using "COMXX".

Regards,

michi7x7

PS: usually you use a COM-Port to send data to one device without
thinking about how the data gets transfered. If you need to set loads of
parameters though, I'm not sure if "COMXX" or /dev/tty... is the right
approach for you.

PPS: of course you can set parameters like baud-rate or arity using
boost.asio