Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Interest in B-tree library for Boost?
From: dhruva (dhruvakm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-16 00:22:15

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 09/15/2010 06:04 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
> A Boost B-tree library would provide disk-based associative containers
> that scale all the way from really, really, small to really, really,
> large. B-trees perform well on hardware ranging from ancient floppy
> disk drives all the way up to humongous disk arrays. They are the
> technology behind most high-performance disk file systems and
> databases.
>
> Any interest?
>
> --Beman
>

> The documentation says "Types supplied by the Key and T template parameters
> must be memcpyable".
>
> So I guess I could not use a nested btree like this
>
> btree<string, btree<unsigned, unsigned> >

How about using regular b-tree and an allocator that gives you memory
from a memory mapped file. More like
boost::intrusive.

For ACID properties, we are using BerkeleyDB 4.8+ which has an STL
interface to hash/btree/recno/queue data
structures on disk. Since BerkeleyDB is not free for commercial use,
there is Tokyo Cabinet but lacks STL interface.
IMHO, a good GSoc project would be to provide an STL interface to
Tokyo Cabinet. With that, there will be a good
alternative to BerkeleyDB based on LGPL (as Tokyo Cabinet is LGPL).

-dhruva

PS: I do not have any personal stake in either BerkeleyDB or Tokyo
Cabinet. Just looking for a good alternative
that I can develop expertise on and use it.