Subject: [Boost-users] [regex] Boost.Regex + ICU vs. standalone ICU
From: AJG (plus.ajg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-24 17:13:00

Hi there,

Is there a document out there describing any substantial differences
(in particular, w.r.t. semantics and correctness) between using
Boost.Regex with ICU support baked in as opposed to ICU's built-in
RegexMatcher/RegexPattern classes?

I do realize, for example, that the former's API has a 'modern C++'
style, whereas the latter is modeled on Java's -- but these differences
seem to be mostly cosmetic. Is there anything else I should be aware of
before deciding to use one or the other -- performance, functionality,
ease-of-use, etc.?

Thanks!

PS: It doesn't look like xpressive has Unicode support yet, which is
why I'm not considering it, but I'd love to know if this impression
is false or soon-to-be false.