Subject: Re: [Boost-users] error: unicode/uversion.h: No such file buildingBoost 1.44.0
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-28 01:50:59

Robert McCullough wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 4:45 AM, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> I have written a bash build script do this build. It has worked fine for
>>> previous version of boost.
>>> i.e. 1.37.0, 1.40.0, 1.43.0
>>> But when I tried to build 1.44.0 I get the following errors.
>>>

>> Does the regex lib go on to build OK?
>>
>> Those compiler errors are from a configuration check that looks to see if
>> ICU is present or not - you shouldn't actually see those messages at all
>> (they should be suppressed and written to file rather like autoconf does).
>>
>> Is there a bjam command line that reliably reproduces this?
>>
>> Thanks, John.
>>

> John,
>
> No, the regex lib does not go on to build.
> The compiler error:
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:12:30: error: unicode/uversion.h: No such
> file or directory
> is from trying to compile has_icu_test.cpp with my cross-compiler tools
> which do not have the icu libraries and header files installed.
> So it can not find unicode/uversion.h.
>
> Why is it trying to compile has_icu_test.cpp when has_icu builds = no, as
> shown below in my output?
>
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:12:30: error: unicode/uversion.h: No such
> file or directory
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:13:28: error: unicode/utypes.h: No such
> file or directory
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:14:27: error: unicode/uchar.h: No such
> file or directory
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:15:26: error: unicode/coll.h: No such file
> or directory
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:26:2: warning: no newline at end of file
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp: In function 'int main()':
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:23: error: 'UErrorCode' was not declared
> in this scope
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:23: error: expected `;' before 'err'
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:24: error: 'UChar32' was not declared in
> this scope
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:24: error: expected `;' before 'c'
> libs/regex/build/has_icu_test.cpp:25: error: 'err' was not declared in this
> scope
> ...failed updating 1 target...
> Performing configuration checks
>
> - has_icu builds : no

I think you misread this output. The error message is from the configuration check --
exactly the check that causes "has_icu builds" to output "no". Besides slight
inconvenience, this should not cause any problems, and regex should be built,
albeit without ICU support.

Do you actually observe that regex is not built? If so, there must be some further
error messages. Would you please put a complete build log somewhere?

- Volodya