Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [BGL] visualizing large graphs
From: Cedric Laczny (cedric.laczny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-29 05:47:44

On Wednesday, 29. September 2010 11:36:03 Adam Spargo wrote:
> Hi Cedric,
> I have been trying to use a program called Tulip to visualise my graphs,
> it claims to work up to millions of nodes, but as yet I still get crashes
> for relatively small graphs. My main problem has been that all my machines
> with enough RAM are remote and the x-connection is too slow. I have put
> some more RAM in my desktop but now the graphics card seems to struggle.
> Waiting for a new graphics card ... Tulip does support batch mode, so I
> could run on a big memory machine and output hardcopy, but I haven't had a
> chance to really learn it interactively yet.
>
> I'll let you know if I have any success.

Thank you, I will give it a try

> How big a graph can you look at with cytoscape? I haven't tried that.

If I remember correctly, you can load graphs with > 10k edges (no clue about
the number of vertices, sorry) into cytoscape, but when you try to create an
actual representation of that data, even with a "decent" 4GB RAM, it crashes.
But I think that this is rather related due to the fact that cytoscape (at
least my installation) is based on Java and I get an Buffer-overflow.
And I could imagine that for the special purposes in your case at the WTSI,
you are handling way bigger graphs ;)

> Best,
>
> Adam.

Best,