Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost Logos
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 01:12:36

On 10/03/2010 02:31 AM, Alfredo Correa wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Patrick Horgan<phorgan1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> ... elision by patrick ...
>> It would be easy to map the blue to black but I'm not sure about the logo
>> implications.
>>
> Patrick,
>
> The first attachment here has the official logo in SVG format. Because
> of the background gradient and the gradient fill of the hexagon it is
> not *obvious* to convert this to high contrast. What should be
> replaced by black (or solid blue)? the hexagon filling? the hexagon
> borders? the background?
>
> A possible high contrast is attached in the second file. By no means
> official or the best option, it is just an possibility, maybe the
> simplest one.
> Note that even the darkest blue used in the gradient of the official
> logo is not enough to contrast with white, so I used a darker blue.

Ok. I get you now. I had just thought to map the shades of blue to
shades of grey, but I see that wouldn't solve the issue. I understand
you now, but this thread wasn't about redesigning the official logo, but
about extending it. The idea is to keep the original completely
unchanged, and just add some subtext using the original font to
specialize its usage for various things. I completely support your
idea that it would be good to have a high contrast version of the logo,
and would be happy to work on that, but in the interest of having any
hope of coming to any resolution on this I'd rather you start a separate
thread if you want to push for that at this point.

Last time we tried to come to agreement on these extensions of the boost
logo we got almost to the finish line reducing to a few examples that
made everyone that had joined the discussion at least mostly happy, when
at the one yard line, others joined the discussion who didn't like
anything (hyperbole mine) and had completely different ideas including
ones that had been shot down earlier when they apparently weren't paying
attention to the thread. I suppose we could have used a moderator and a
time limit or maybe a vote, but there's really no process in place for
this. As a result instead of heading toward consensus, we diverged,
people became intransigent and the effort collapsed.

I'm not an advocate particularly for any of the options. There were
several ways proposed to say that "I use boost" "I am trying to get my
library to be a part of boost" "I extend boost but they didn't like me
and I haven't fixed things so that they do" "I really am a part of
boost". I liked a lot of the variants and made examples so people could
see them. I still like the idea and hope that it can succeed. The
original impetus was to have a replacement icon for the documents
developed for a proposed addition to boost. It then became evident that
a LOT of people wanted an icon that didn't claim to be boost, but just
said that we use boost. There was a lot of consensus on the powered by
boost icon, which was the third or fourth try to express this idea, and
whoever came up with that (sorry I'd have to go back and read the
thread) was acknowledged as brilliant.

I would be happy to work with just the "Powered by" and the "Proposed
for" icons. We came closest to consensus on those. Some objected to
possibility of the "Proposed for" staying on a project that had been
rejected at least temporarily, feeling that if it kept saying "Proposed
for", especially if abandoned, it would be lending the boost name to
something unworthy of the name. It's all coming back now. Sigh.
Perhaps we could just have a vote on the "Powered by" separately, seems
a shame when it was the need for the other one that started the
process. The last thread was on the dev list I think. Perhaps a
discussion of "Powered by" should be on users and "Proposed for" on dev.

Any of the work I did is completely derivative of the original svg logo
and belongs to boost not me. I am merely a channel;) Ohmmmmmmm.
Jouuuuuuuullle. (Using ohm as a meditation mantra breaks down
resistance and lets you flow to a more energetic state, but if you want
to really ramp up the power switch to using joule as a mantra.) ymmv.

Patrick