Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Users! Who'd like to wave goodbye to #ifdefBOOST_MSVC6_* workarounds?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 12:18:32

Marsh Ray wrote:
> On 10/04/2010 03:20 AM, John Maddock wrote:
> The idea is that if a Boost developer happens to be working in a
> source file and comes across a block of VC6 workaround code that he'd
> really like to whack, he can just go ahead and whack it knowing he has
> the
> full support of the users behind him.

That's exactly what's happening at least in my case.

MSVC 6.0 isn't being tested anymore. So any change I make is likely
to break it. I seriously doubt that the current serialization library
would compile with this compiler. With Borland, I don't have a
borland compiler, but even though it's being tested, I couldn't
maintain compatibility and anyway it's not worth it. If someone
wanted to suggest changes (and run tests) to maintain support
for these compilers, I would be willing to roll them in - but I'm not
spending my own time on this.

Basically, I respond to "market" demand.

The problem with this is that since the "product" isn't sold
I have no way to gauge this demand other than these lists.
This is a large part of the motivation behind the proposal
I presented at BoostCon this year.

Robert Ramey

PS. I think I may have misunderstand the original proposal.

If its to strip out compatibility code for these compilers my
vote would be -1

If it would be to just stop investing effort in maintaining
compatibility - which is the current policy - I would vote +1

RR