Subject: [Boost-users] Problems with boost 1.44.0 and MSVC: boost::mutex::scoped_lock and std::deque in multithreaded application
From: Yana A Kireyonok (aka Iron Bug) (death.iron.bug_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 23:40:42

Greetings, ppl.
I've got strange problems with the latest stable boost (1.44.0) and
MSVS studios 2005 and 2010.

The first problem I got (it seems being not dependent on boost
version) was the heap allocation exception when using
mutex::scoped_lock to guard references to std::deque from different
threads in multithreaded application. I used MSVS SP1 compiler I
checked it with boost 1.41.0 and it appeared there too, so it's not
the bug of the latest version, for sure. I was not sure if it wasn't a
bug of STL, but the strange thing was that if I used usual mutex
lock/unlock functions instead of scoped_lock - it went just perfectly.
That's why I decided to ask here, instead of blaming STL. I'm not sure
if it's a bug to send it to a buglist. I'm far from being a newbie in
multithreading programming, but I cannot guess where it comes from and
I've got too little time to get deep into detailed boost debug. I've
written a little test application that reveals the problem, I'm not
sure if it's a good idea to insert the code right here, but I can send
it on request.
The second problem raised up when I tried to compile the same test
application with MSVS 2010. I didn't use the MSVS 2010 for my
application, but I decided to test if it was a problem with STL libs.
That result was access violation in the boost::thread constructor. It
goes well under MSVS 2005, though. And the constructor is ok when
using MSVS 2010 with boost 1.41.0 too. I found some info in the
internet that this bug appeared in boost 1.43.0, but was fixed. Bug I
could not find it in bugs list of boost, so I decided to ask about it
here. Meantime, the problem with heap allocation remained, with MSVS
2010 and boost 1.41.0.
I'm not sure what to do with this issues. Maybe these are known problems?

Sincerely, Yana.