Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [MPI, serialization] Segmentation fault in heterogeneous cluster
From: Sebastian Schaetz (Sebastian.Schaetz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-07 07:37:56

> Hi Francesco,
>
> The support for shared_ptr was incomplete. Can you try this example with the
current SVN trunk?

> Matthias

Matthias,
I tried this example using revision and I get this error:

'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl
<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::mpi::exception>>'
  what(): MPI_Unpack: MPI_ERR_TRUNCATE: message truncated
[...]

I tested this because I try to do something very similar but it also does not
work. See my code example here: http://gist.github.com/613446 (see error message
here http://gist.github.com/613479)

Am I messing up here or is this a problem with Boost MPI possibly in how it
interacts with Boost Serialization?

Also I had a version of this code where shared_ptr was replaced by a regular
pointer which also did not work [0]. Is it a bad idea in general to use a
regular pointers when sending stuff through MPI using serialization?

Best,
Sebastian

[0]: https://gist.github.com/613446/afba16ea4711f8674060ffcdbb41e85188d572c7