Subject: [Boost-users] [Smart Ptr] Why is weak_ptr a _ptr?
From: Szymon Gatner (szymon.gatner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-13 05:42:10

Hi,

Is it just me or is it really the worse naming in whole boost library?

It is nothing like any other smart pointer.

No initialization / construction from raw pointer.

No operator * or -> (the very least one would expect from _ptr class).

No get().

And many more which I now forgot. My point is that is is not a pointer
at all, not even a bit. It only happens to have a member variable returning
one and that is hardly a reason to call type pointer-like.

It should rather be called shared_tracker or shared_listener or something
in that taste ;)

Regards,
Szymon