Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] linker error with static build of serialization on Mingw gcc 4.4.0
Date: 2010-10-16 14:57:51

Philipp Münzel <mailing-lists <at> philippmuenzel.de> writes:

> When I now build a shared library, itself linking statically the
libboost_serialization.a, I get the
> following linker error:
>
> Cannot export
>_ZN5boost13serialization9singletonINS_7archive6detail12_GLOBAL__N_
> 13mapI24portable_binary_iarchiveEEE12get_instanceEv: symbol not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I apologize for not being precise on what I compile.

Here what I did:
-I upgraded to boost 1.44 on both Linux and Windows.
-I build static version of boost-serialization as mentioned above
-I copied from libs/serialization/example the files
portable_binary_archive.hpp
portable_binary_iarchive.hpp
portable_binary_oarchive.hpp
portable_binary_iarchive.cpp
portable_binary_oarchive.cpp
into my own project and added the *.cpps to my Makefile.

The project builds a dynamic library which itself links the static version of
libboost_serialization.a

Everything works fine (builds, runs, output is sane) on Linux, but trying to
build the project on Windows produces the aforementioned linker error.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Philipp